English Language Learner Master Plan
It is the mission of the San Bruno Park School District to implement the following goals:
- To develop English language proficiency and academic achievement
- To give English language learners access to the District’s core curriculum
- To promote cross cultural understanding
- To engage the English Language (EL) families
The District takes proactive steps to ensure that there is regular consultation between site principals and the existing English Learner advisory Committees (ELACs) and the District English Learner Advisory Committee (DELAC).
Each school’s compliance with the provisions of the Master Plan is assessed on the following dimensions:
- Student identification and assessment procedures
- Redesignation and post-designation procedures
- Establishment and functioning of meaningful vehicles for parent involvement and feedback
- Effectiveness of instructional programming
- Professional development of teachers and staff
- Appropriateness of and total expenditures on programs and services for English Language students
All English learners are enrolled in Structured English Immersion or English Language Mainstream classrooms with CLAD certified teachers. Students in grades K-8 receive assistance on a daily basis with their classroom teacher.
The California English Language Development Test (CELDT) is used to determine the English Language Proficiency of students whose primary language is not English. Students in Kindergarten and first grade are assessed in Listening and Speaking. Students in grades 2- 8 are assessed in Listening, Speaking, Reading and Writing.
English language learners are redesignated as fluent English proficient (FEP) after meeting established criteria in academic and classroom performance and standardized testing.
Please review our English Learner Instructional Program.