History of Allen Elementary School
The oldest elementary school in the San Bruno Park School District, Decima M. Allen School, enjoys a long tradition of educational success in our community.
Many of today’s students are the children and grandchildren of Allen graduates. These roots give our school a special family feel. The history of Allen school and its service to San Bruno can be traced back to 1910 with the foundation of Edgemont School. Old Edgemont School opened in 1910 on the site of the current district offices. New Edgemont School (now the main campus) at Angus and Elm opened in 1941 with nine classrooms. Six more classrooms were added in 1946. The offices, cafeteria and kindergarten (now the Media Center) were added in 1956 when the school was renamed in honor of Decima M. Allen, San Bruno's librarian from 1937 to 1955 as well as a 25-year member of the school board and president of the Edgemont PTA.
Today,our student-centered approach supports our students’ social and emotional development while emphasizing academic achievement. A major initiative in the 18-19 school year is the successful launch of the Sobrato Early Academic Language (SEAL) program in kindergarten and 1st grade with plans to expand the program into grades 2 and 3 in 2019-20.